Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What are you reading??

Now that I am retired I have LOTS of choices of what to do with my time. I am enjoying my craft/quilt projects but I also love to read some every day. This is a stack of books that I have on my "to read" list. I am reading the top one "A December Wedding by Anita Shreve. It is good but not captivating. I will finish it but it doesn't make me want to sit down and read it every day. Like the title of this post, What are you reading??? I am always looking for recommendations and YES you do see a Vogue magazine on the bottom of this stack. For some reason I have taken up reading fashion magazines for fun. They often have interesting articles and the advertisements are interesting to look at. These fashion magazines are fairly inexpensive to have delivered to your home, I am guessing it is because they are so full of advertisements. Anyway, I enjoy reading them too. Let me know what you enjoy reading.

5 comments:

  1. People of the Book, and March by Geraldine Brooks
    Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Housseini, the sugary quilting stories of Jennifer Chiaverini, read in sequel order. And I have read all of Harry Potter three times. Also Janet Evanonvich,in order. Lots of Sue Grafton, Tom Clancy, John Grisham. And my motive for sharing all of this is that I am actively looking for new good reads too! Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you asked for it....
    What I have read that I love: Lamb, the gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal by Christopher Moore. Fluke, another great one by Christopher Moore. Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Poetry by Mary Oliver, Hafiz, Rilke. The Zahir by Paulo Coelho. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, and Amber Spyglass). Harry Potter series. The Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda. Mysteries by Kinky Friedman. Non fiction, I love Annie Lamott (Traveling Mercies, Operating Instructions, etc), Eckhart Tolle, Madeleine L'Engle's memoir series (Circle of Quiet, Summer of the Great Grandmother..), A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson. The Cloister Walk, Dakota, and Virgin of Bennington by Kathleen Norris. Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. Things Seen and Unseen: A Year Lived in Faith and Practicing Resurrection: A memoir of work, doubt, discernment, and moments of grace by Nora Gallagher. And much much more. I love talking books and I hope others add their lists because it's always interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot Bill Bryson, laugh out loud wonderful non fiction! The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America was written in 89, before we became so electronically connected, and my favorite In A Sunburned Country on his travels in Australia. Sarah, I'm printing your list...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My book for the month's book club is Double Bind. Just ok.

    I also read - Good-bye Insecurity, You Have Been a Bad Friend by Beth Moore. Very good.

    I am searching for a knock out - awesome book for book club. It is my turn to bring a title. Della suggested Cutting for Stone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I woke up this morning thinking, I forgot......and more names of great authors. I wont add so many more but just one: Isabelle Allende. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete