Sunday, February 28, 2010

Quilt store shopping and buyers remorse

Well, I managed to do some shopping for the backing on this wonderful quilt. First I did try the Internet like Gayle suggested but I couldn't find something that hit me right and I needed at least 11 yards. It turns out that needing that much material leads to the biggest problem. That is almost a whole bolt of fabric so you must find something you like AND they must have a lot of it. That doesn't happen too often at a quilt store. I went to the shop in Farwell when I was down that way. I was kind of talked into this first fabric. It looked better in the store and it was really the only piece that they had that had enough fabric for my backing. SO I bought 12 yards and immediately that night I began to feel 'buyers remorse'. When I got home I didn't even look at it with the quilt for a couple of days. I was kind of stuck on the fact that it was going into a blue painted room and so I went with this one because it was blue. Friday I took it to a friends house and we looked at it. We both agreed that it was just to 'weak' of a batik to go with the 'strong' colors in the quilt. SO, I stopped at another shop on my way home.
This is the fabric that I picked up at the other shop. It is a much stronger print and has many good colors in it. It goes well with the quilt.





Here it the fabric that I am going to use for the backing.




This is the 12 yards of fabric that I will need to use up on something but I am thinking that maybe I could make some quilts with this as the fabric and add other colors. Maybe I will make 3 quilts, one with blue, one with pink and one with purple. I think they would make good matching quilts. I think that twin size quilts would be a good idea. If I can't find a home for them I will give them to a charity for some kind of auction or to Eva's church for their spring auction. I will show them to you when I get them made.



Here is is set of fabrics that I did pick up and I like them. I am going to make a quilt for my brother, Leo. He said that he would like a blue quilt. I am pleased with the selection here.




This is a close up of the first 3 fabrics. I am a little unsure of the third one from the left but I am going with it since it will only show up in little pieces.




Here are the last 4 fabrics. I love the 3rd one from the left most of all.




This is the pattern that I am going to use. It is called Regular Many Trips Around The World. I have done this pattern twice before. The first time I made it for Eva and it is on her guest bed downstairs. I did hers in autumn reds. I think this will look good for Leo.












2 comments:

  1. Today I spent a good chunk of time at my local shop agonizing over border fabric for two quilts made from my stash. I have had a similar experience with backing and ended up using an original solid pale pink(boring!) backing for several smaller quilts instead. My quilter did the stitching on those in an extravagant design using multi colored thread that just jumps out at you. This made the plain backing rather an easel to display her work and was a fabulous solution. I love your batik quilt and the darker backing. And really love the light backing too, it will be great on the right quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the darker edging/backing too. LOVE. That is such a gorgeous quilt. My favorite of the ones I've seen you make so far. L'artiste de tissu!

    ReplyDelete